Zero harm culture
The Metalfer safety principles call for each person to be responsible for themselves, but also responsible for recognizing and correcting risky behavior or unsafe conditions. The safety of employees is more than a priority for us and as a result the Group plans goals: our safety culture is not defined by the things we say, but by the actions we implement in practice. We have established a global health and safety policy that creates the basis for the development of the company’s safety culture.
Our goal is to achieve a sustainable zero-harm culture supported by management and owned by an engaged and highly skilled workforce, empowered with the skills and resources needed to assess, reduce and eliminate risks and hazards in the workplace. We strive to reduce the number of injuries, and that every year the numbers are better than the previous ones.
Reducing risks and increasing safety
In harmony with the best world practice, as well as with the company’s safety policy, a safety and health risk management system was defined and established, based on risk assessment and the application of barriers, in order to identify all potential hazards at the workplace and in the working environment, and adequate risk control measures defined. With these procedures, risks are eliminated – for our employees, for contractors, for visitors, processes and equipment – that is, they are reduced to the smallest possible extent.
We ensure the safety of employees through a series of modern technical, health, organizational, legal, educational and other preventive measures. We strongly believe that all injuries are preventable, and prevention is fundamental to everything we do. In order to reduce the probability of an event occurring, we influence its cause. A workplace with zero incidents is achievable and that is exactly the kind of shared space we strive for.
The company drafted the Act on risk assessment at the workplace and in the working environment, the Act on the assessment of risks of catastrophes, as well as the Act on the assessment of risks in the protection of persons, property and business. (Links?) If an accident occurs within the company, we take the situation very seriously. By analyzing the causes, sources and consequences of incidents, we arrive at the most suitable organizational measures, both preventive and operational, for their elimination. By investigating incidents together with the participants, regardless of whether there were injuries or not, we reduce the likelihood that the same or similar events will happen again.
To increase safety:
– We carry out continuous HS training of employees, special professional training in handling work resources, education and professional development;
– We develop risk management skills;
– We perform regular medical examinations and monitor the health status of our employees;
– We carry out regular inspections of work equipment, while the machines are equipped with protective armor and devices for safe handling;
– We assess risks in all stages of managing investment projects and during organizational changes;
– We respect established safety procedures and instructions, we move along marked safe corridors;
– We use established energy control/lockout procedures;
– We use appropriate protective equipment;
– We control alcoholism and drug addiction;
– We prevent diseases among employees.
Certifications and recognitions:
Safety certifications and recognitions: – The company has production sites certified to the OHSAS 18001/ISO45001 standard for safety management systems, which is a globally recognized standard that provides a structured, systemic framework for managing and improving safety practices.